Thursday, July 19, 2012

CENTRAL COLORADO, LEADVILLE

After breakfast at the Golden Burro we bike up to where we left off the Mineral Belt Trail.  It's still going uphill through all the old mine camps.  We stop and tour the Matchless mine which has quite a history.  It made Leadville the biggest boom town of all.  By 1880 the only town that was larger was Denver.

We cruise downhill through town and beat the afternoon storm back to the RV.  We have supper at the bar across the street.  It's called Pastime and it's the only one to survive on 2nd St.  There used to be 64 bars on this street.  2nd St. used to be the red light district since it was on the edge of town.
Matchless Mine, owned by Horace & Baby Doe Tabor.

Baby Doe Tabor's home at the mine after Horace died.  They went from
wealth to poverty.

Tailing's from the Matchless mine.

Head frame, entrance to the mine

Assayer's oven used to determine the percent of silver
per ton.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great pix. I am a romance novelist setting a book in Leadville, and although I have been there, my visit was brief, and I need a lot more to visualize, Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great pix. I am a romance novelist setting a book in Leadville, and although I have been there, my visit was brief, and I need a lot more to visualize, Thanks.

    ReplyDelete