Saturday, January 19, 2013

Death Valley National Park, CA

We have a soak once again and then head north to Shoshone where we visit their museum.  We enter Death Valley through Salsberry Pass (3,315 feet) and drop down to the Ashford Mill ruins.  We head north along Badwater Road and stop to view the water level marks on the side of the mountain that was the freshwater Manly Lake 12,000 years ago.  We stop in Badwater and walk out to the middle of the basin.  This is the lowest elevation in North America (-282 feet) and I have wanted to come here ever since I became a land surveyor.  This was probably the very first item on my bucket list.  I dig a hole and stand in it.  Now I'm the lowest person in North America.  We continue north and take a campsite at Texas Spring.


Ashford Mill ruins


Manley Lake which existed 12,000 years ago

This coyote was looking for a handout


Sea Level





-282 feet below sea level

Mitch is now the lowest person in North America



















1 comment:

  1. Sorry to contact you by this method, but I can't locate an email address. I publish the North Park Visitors Guide based in Walden, Colorado, and would like permission to reprint your "fits like a bathtub" photo for an article we're doing on "things to do within 50 miles of Walden." Would you be willing to allow me to include your photo in our article? Thank you in advance. Debbie Wilson, Walden.

    ReplyDelete